Need a title? No. If not a title, then at least a handle, right? Maybe. Then, at least an ID#? Absolutely.
If I apply my definitions of title, handle, and ID# to this post is would look like:
- Example: Does everything need a title?
- Notes: The super popular question in a title works well. People hope to find a unique and/or clever answer to the question that makes them look at life from a new perspective.
- Example: Water and bubbles
- Notes: The post has a featured image containing water and bubbles. Now someone can refer to this post as the “water and bubbles post (or picture)”. I can say, “yeah, I know that one”. Less people will read it, though.
- Example: Blog post #109 -OR- 2264
- Notes: This is my 109th blog post. If I was to leave the title of the post blank, WordPress’ content management system would automatically give it ID# 2264 in the URL. It’s a must. On the system level it has to have an identity, otherwise it can not be referenced, but even less people will read it.
Here’s the same concept applied to a person, but in reverse order—ID#, handle, title.
The ID# could be a social security number like 15645896. Not interesting, I don’t want to know more about you. If your handle was Gunner Hammer I would be like “what!”, who has a name like that and I would want to at least see what you look like. Finally, if your title was The King of Transformation I would have no choice but to read about you on the internet. It would be inevitable.
On one hand the social security is a must or it could be your human number dictated by how many humans came before you. Either way, we must have a way to refer to you. Luckily, handles and titles are easier to remember and can make you seem interesting.
So, the lesson is give your blog posts a title so that people will (start to) read them, but only if you’re making a website that you want people to come to. And the next baby you have should be given a handle (i.e. name) and a title if you want them to get lots of attention.
Anyway, I just wanted something to say when I posted this digital painting that I finished up last night. It has water and bubbles and other stuff in it.